Great Whites and Dining Nights

Today was my ‘recreational’ day in South Africa.  So I chose to do something that I missed on my first trip to South Africa back in 2011: shark cage diving in Simon’s Town, South Africa (diving was by Seal Island). From the boat, I saw a southern right whale while cruising to Seal Island, and then 6 different great white sharks from the boat while cage diving.  I put on my wetsuit, and then hoped for the best to see one underwater.  The water was chilling, but I was determined to stay in the cage as long as I could.   I was only 5 meters away from the great whites when I was in the cage. But the only setback was that the underwater visibility was only 2 meters, so all my pictures are from the boat. Regardless, it was an exhilarating experience!!

After a wonderful time on the boat and some close encounters with the great whites, Keith and Sherol decided to take us out to dinner.  I ordered the kingklip, which was a very light and flaky local fish.  I cleaned my plate, and then progressed on to helping Natalie finish her prawns, calamari.  The diving and the sea air gave me quite an appetite, but also made me quite tired.  I will have no problems getting to sleep tonight.