Meeting Roz, Ed Arrives

This morning, I slept a total of 9 hours:  more than I recall for months!  So my first mission was to coach Natalie regarding the solar jar curriculum.  Mark came to pick us up my mid morning.  There were several conversations with Mark, from the political degradation and corruption which occurred in the past 4 years to the Prasa train which was purchased for South Africa, too tall for the established infrastructure.  Post Aparthied, the current state of South Africa seems to be worsening more than strengthening.  But Mark and other South Africans emphatically counter its political downturn with the spirit of its people.

One of our first stops was of the household of Roslin (Roz).  She lives in Mfuleni, which is a township full of ‘informal establishments’; and one of the most disadvantaged communities.  She is an entrepreneur that runs a small business of upcycling used jeans into jean jackets and upcycles other textiles.  Her business is entitled Siyakula, which is Xhosa for “we are growing”).  Later this week, I’m going to get more of a chance to talk to her in person.

Next was a chance to walk on the beach in Cape Town.  It’s winter, but I couldn’t resist a chance to dip my toes in the water.  The surf was up, and the windsurfers were flying.

After the walk on the beach, we had a late lunch and planning session for the next 9 days.  All seemed so exciting; from talking to stakeholders (similar to Senators in the U.S.) to special interest groups such as an all female group called Feminique.  The schedule seems a bit intimidating, but I’m willing to take on every part of it.

Later that evening, we got a chance to meet up with Ed Bender of Sundance Solar of New Hampshire; my business partner and personal friend.  Ed was suffering from jet lag as we did the night before.  But he still had the energy to show us his solar lanterns for the PAYG solar lantern project, from the ‘basic’ lantern (providing light only) to the more deluxe (containing one or two USB chargers).  It was unbelievable how much equipment he brought along; his equipment took up 3 bags and 200 pounds!

Left to right on the picture above:

Green (basic) solar light, Yellow light with a single USB charger, Red Light with Two USB chargers

Lastly, we got a chance to see another Aspire Youth social enterprise; PACE (Parking Area Cleaning Enterprise) – a small business where impoverished youth environmentally friendly degreasers to remove ingrained oil stains from parking areas of malls, hotels, business parks and residential units.

By the time we got back to Sherol’s house, she had curried chicken, rice, and antipasta ready to eat.  Even though we already had pizza at Ed’s apartment, it was too delicious to turn down.  So after a second dinner and lots of conversation with Sherol and Keith, it was time to turn in for the night.  Our heads hit the pillow by 1 AM (which is 7 PM Eastern Standard Time).